Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Recent Observations...


Today's post is written by Associate Head Coach Ronda Hubbard:

(Editor's Note: Ronda Hubbard has recently been promoted to Associate Head Coach!!...read her updated bio here)


Things I Am Currently Noticing…
The first thing I have noticed today is that it has been quite a while since the last time Coach Moeller asked me to write a blog. The second thing I almost immediately noticed is that the word “blog” is identified as a misspelled word by my computer’s spell-check. Hmmmmm… how old is this software?

Another observation…. I am a Coach, and I have an outstanding responsibility to live up to the spirit of that title. Philosophically, I am using the game of basketball to teach fundamental core values and principles that can be transferred into the game of life. Sometimes that can be difficult when I myself am still working on the fact that I am a sore loser. Always have been. I have recently found that in addition to communicating well with our student-athletes, I am now communicating with the parents, fans, Lionbackers, and friends of the program more than I have ever done in the past. Blogging is how I am supposed to communicate to all of you, our loyal fans. I feel obligated to share a certain amount of insight so that you, our fans, can relate better and be informed about what’s going on in our program.

The problem is, I like facebook. I have really enjoyed connecting with former players via this tool. It was a former player who actually “forced” me to get on it. I especially love the spur of the moment bursts that can be shared (because this IS how I think). I and everyone else get to quickly blurt out whatever thought was passing through our head at that very moment. We even have a twitter. I enjoy reading Coach Moeller’s ‘tweets’. Some are serious and logical, others are reflective and from the heart, while many are just ridiculous observations. I mean, he actually feels the need to post the weather in Joplin on our twitter. ? Can’t people look that up… If they are THAT interested? :)

So, I get to write to you occasionally and my overriding intent is to avoid boring you. Boring a person should never be allowed. There is simply no excuse for boring another human being. Or for that matter, BEING bored! I would NEVER tell my Mom or Dad growing up that I was “bored”! All the sudden I can hear my Mom yell, “If you are that bored, the garage needs to be cleaned out and the lawn needs mowed.” Boredom….Never. OK, I just realized I got a little off subject. You are even asking yourself right now…. What IS the subject? Let me remind you…. Things I am currently noticing!

Homecoming weekend I noticed a ton of things…..
-Lee Pound does a great job in the Alumni office and deserves more kudos than she gets.
-Dressing up as Gumby is not THAT embarrassing.
-Watching our player, Jasmine, beat the tar out of Coach Jones is the most I have laughed in a long time. Click HERE to watch this hilarious video.
-I love tailgating, especially when ribs are involved.
-I love recruiting, especially when verbal commitments are involved.
-Bart Tatum is doing an amazing job with our football team and I love watching these young men play. They just get better and better each week.
-Coach Mitts does a great job with her team, but also with the Catholic Campus Ministry.
-Even though I am full on ribs, I always have room for a hotdog.
-I enjoy being around our team. They are funny and have a great aura about them.

Now, Of course I could rattle a few more things out, but …. I don’t want to BORE you!
The main thing I have noticed is that this is the best time of the year. Football is in full swing, Basketball practice is a couple weeks away, and the anticipation of taking a bunch of ladies with different backgrounds and meshing them into a team is overwhelming. We are excited around here. Something I noticed quite a while back that has allowed me to succeed and has guided people to success in all areas of life is a very simple question. The question is….

Can you make yourself do something you would rather not do, in order to get a result you would like to have?

This is what we are asking our team right now. When our team can answer YES to this question, they will experience a massive shift in perception of their immediate future. This single concept can dramatically alter the results you are getting, no matter what the venue.

Hmmmmm….. So we want to get to the NCAA tournament…..

It is a GREAT day to be a LION!

Ronda Hubbard
Associate Head Coach