Monday, October 5, 2009

Playing Coach and Dad all at the same time



Today's Post is written by Freshman Guard Erin Rice:

Hi, my name is Erin Rice and I am a freshman from Cole Camp, MO. All through high school I faced something a little different than most high school athletes, my dad was my coach.

Growing up I watched my dad coach both volleyball and basketball at the high school level. I watched many players play for my dad and he made everyone of them better. I couldn’t wait till it was my turn. As a freshman I played one sport that my dad didn’t coach. But the next three years of my high school career the only coach I had was my dad.

Having my dad as a coach was very difficult at times but I am very thankful for everything he did for me. My dad saw what I could become and he pushed me to be the player I am today. The relationship with my dad in high school is much different than it is now. I struggled a little with the idea of being his player on the court and his daughter at night when we went home. Oh did I mention he teaches at the school too? I would see him several times throughout the day. Let’s just say my dad and I spent a lot of time together. As I look back, my dad really did a great job of separating our family life and sports. I truly did have a coach on the floor and a dad at home.

I have a lot of respect for my dad. If it wasn’t for him I wouldn’t be here playing ball at Missouri Southern. Having my dad as a coach for 4 years makes it easier now. At home I witnessed firsthand what coaches go through off the court. I saw the stress that comes with coaching. I saw all the things that my dad had to deal with that had nothing to do with winning games. Seeing what went on behind the scenes has given me a great respect for our coaching staff here at Southern (mostly because I understand that coaching at the collegiate level is both more stressful and more demanding).

In the end, it’s great to finally be just a player...and just a daughter. Thanks Dad (or should that be "coach"?)

Until next time…It’s a GREAT day to be a LION!

Erin Rice
Freshman Guard