Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Welcome to College


Today's post is written by freshman combo guard Myriah Hicks:



As an incoming freshman to Missouri Southern Women’s Basketball and pre-season, I had no idea what to expect. The only thing that I had to go off of was the things that I had heard from the returning players. Some of the things I didn’t think sounded too hard, while others I became really worried about. The main thing that they had to say was come in with a positive attitude and give maximum effort, 100% of the time. Now I know that those are two points that all of my coaches stress to us every day. Academics is also very important around our program, and is stressed even more than excellence on the court. Grades come first around here. Being here for a week I have already had two study halls, and yes, some of my other teammates are in there as well. This place is no joke! You come in, sit down and get your books, do your work on the computer if needed, and no talking or texting!

I can say that the first week went well. Monday we didn’t even know what to expect, all we knew was that we had the infamous Coach J! After the first day of 4-400’s and 4-200’s, I knew that I was in for something that my mind and body had never been through before. I also found out that we have “gears” that we never knew existed. High school pre-season is a joke compared to college, and I have only been through one week here. My coaches in high school had me thinking that I was working hard every day, but the coaches here show you how hard you can really work. The key is striving to reach your potential and always giving everything you have on the court, track, and in the weight room. They stress that the same amount of effort should be put forth the rest of the season.

Honestly, I thought that all pre-season was going to be was working out all day and never getting time for anything else. We have done a lot more than just work out. We have been making bonds with our teammates and coaches ever since we got here. For only having 3 returners here, I would say that we get along very well with everyone and we have a type of bond that is only going to get stronger as the season continues. No one is to be left out on our team. We have done things together like all going to campus craze (including coaches), eat dinner with our boosters and boys team, and going on a scavenger hunt.

The most awesome thing that I have experienced so far this pre-season is leadership. Over the summer we were assigned the book, “Talent Is Never Enough.” We all meet as a team on Wednesdays. Only being there for the first week, I can already see the purpose of “Leadership.” The name stands for itself. I thought that it was really awesome that while Coach Mitts was going over the book, some of her main points in the 2 chapters were some of the same things that I had underlined while I was reading the book! For some reason, I just thought that was so awesome. That already, not even being here a week, I know that I value some of the same things that my coaches and teammates also value! Week 2…here we come!

Until next time….It’s a GREAT day to be a LION!

Myriah Hicks
Freshman combo guard