Sunday, July 12, 2009

New Beginnings


Today's Blog is written by Fr. Point Guard Kelby Fritz:

Well, I guess I can start off by saying...Man, what a change! A few months ago I was so unsure of even moving away from home; now, I can't imagine having it any other way. It's such a big change that's for sure! Just to be honest, once or twice a day you will be able find one of us freshman calling our parents back home.

I come from a small town in Oklahoma called Vinita! Joplin is such a BIG place compared to Vinita. This past season my high school team won the 4A State Championship! Our final season record was 28-1. It was one of the most amazing feelings in my whole entire life. Winning that state title and being able to bring the Gold Ball back home for everyone in Vinita to see is truly a memory that will never leave me! 3 months removed from this State Championship I am facing brand new challenges everyday. First, it was the change of moving away from home. Second, the challenge of meshing with new teammates and learning a new system faced me. I went from playing for Vinita for 4 years and knowing every little thing about how we wanted to play the game, to starting over from scratch and learning a whole new way to do things.



I've noticed already that there are many obstacles to overcome when making this transition. I have to be honest, coming in as a point guard I am at a huge advantage. Randi has been playing that position in this program for 3 years, and I'm getting the opportunity to learn from her! She is an amazing leader and has already showed me in these past few weeks her passion for the game. I've learned just how contagious a good attitude can be. We are a lot alike when it comes to competition as well. We hate losing at anything. We all went out for Erin's birthday this past week and Randi had to remind me before playing any of the arcade games that it was recreational fun, and not to get mad when I lose. Ya got to love that!



I'm enjoying every minute of being a lion! I wouldn't have it any other way!



Kelby Fritz
Fr. Point Guard