Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Going Camping


In a world full of technological changes and advancements, it is simply amazing how easily communication can connect the masses. First it was cell phones, e-mail, and text messaging, but even Facebook and YouTube are not enough anymore…we now have to have Twitter and blogs!

I said I would never do it; thought to myself that it wasn’t necessary, but here I sit on a smoldering June evening writing…yes, writing a BLOG! Now, understand this – I am doing this because my early twenty-something assistant,
Coach Moeller, has sold me on the idea and has promised to help me, every step of the way! It is my sincere hope that you find this site to be informative, insightful, and intriguing. It should provide a “link” into the happenings of the Missouri Southern Women’s Basketball family. Fair warning though, I will write like I coach – with all my heart and energetic passion. So…here we go!

That being said, tonight my heart is on camps. Although they concluded a week ago, I still feel the energy and renewed spirit they always provide. You see, camps always remind me of the real reason behind why I coach – which is to teach the game of basketball in its simplest form and to help bridge the gap between the game and the many life lessons it teaches. I love being around K-8th graders who take in every word you say without questioning a thing (and as a result they learn the game of basketball at the same level of our college players!). They perform our RASE program, fundamental drills, and defensive system with such excitement because they don’t have “cobwebs” from years past. And you know what else? They love to RUN! They will run all day…and yet they still smile when you tell them to run. What a pleasure to have the word RUN (yes, R-U-N!) not come with such a negative meaning to it!! These kids sprint everywhere and they love it!

Our camps are different than most others around the country. First of all, most colleges do camps because it makes money. Well, that's part of it, but we don’t look at camps as most do – like a babysitting service. We actually take pride in being one of the best instructional camps in the country. You won’t come to our camps and see a bunch of knockout games and hours of swimming. What you will see is GREAT teaching by our players and a “non-stop” tempo! I actually had a dad tell me at camp that he sent his son to a Major Division 1 University’s Football Camp and when he compared the 2 camp schedules, he was astonished at how much we accomplished compared to the football camp. The football camp was laced with “free time” built into the schedule…listen, kids can have “free time” at home…not on our watch. The best compliment we get from parents after camp is when they tell us their daughter slept the whole next day! The second thing that sets our camp apart is our staff involvement. This staff attends EVERY MINUTE of camp! Head coaches usually show up to welcome the campers, be in the camp photo and then you don’t see them the rest of the week.

Another thing that I love about our camps is that it is a great opportunity to link our current players with previous Lions. It was so wonderful to watch Jaime Green (Labette County Community College Head Women’s Basketball Coach…and
Jayhawk Conference East “Coach of the Year”!!), Robin Kantin (Jaime’s assistant at Labette…we all know how important assistant coaches are to a program), and Danielle DeVader (The Lions All Time Leader in 3 Point FG) return to campus as such successful inspiring women. Speaking of Danielle…what an absolute blessing to have Danielle staying in Joplin as an elementary teacher and JV Basketball Coach! The Joplin School District just landed an incredible teacher and coach…but an even better person!

I just returned from St. Louis after being a guest speaker at Ron Letcher’s Referee Camp. Ron, as the Head of Officials for the
MIAA, hosts an evaluation/tryout for those interested in officiating. It is a great honor for me to be asked to speak about officiating from a coach’s perspective. Although I do find it a little ironic that I have been asked to speak the last 2 years (because I tend to be a little hard on them at times), I take the opportunity very seriously and appreciate the invitation.

Maryann Mitts
Head Coach