Monday, October 11, 2010

Preparing to prepare


This post is written by Sophomore Guard Erin Rice:

Hello everyone! Last Monday I was in Coach Hubbard’s office and one of my favorite Lionbackers, Don Miller, asked me why I haven’t written a blog this year.
The first thing I did was look at Coach Moeller and said ‘Yeah Coach, why?’ So here I am this one is for you Don!

We just finished up our last full week of preseason and I must say it is way different as a sophomore.
As a freshman last year I had no idea what to expect. The fear of the unknown was enough to scare me, but on top of that I had never worked so hard in my life! Basically, I was just like every other freshman entering college basketball. It was quite the eye opening learning experience. As I entered this year I was so much more confident because I knew what was coming and I had worked so hard in the summer to prepare my mind and body for our preseason workouts and I am happy to say this year is totally different. I feel so much more prepared for the MIAA.


The coaching staff has always done a great job of explaining the rigors and trials of the MIAA conference, but it’s hard to take those words to heart until you experience it firsthand.
I have watched basketball in this leagues for a while now and I could tell from the stands that it was going to be very tough, but I had no idea it was going to be this TOUGH. Our league really brings out the best in the players and coaches. Any night off and you will lose. That is what is so GREAT about the MIAA!!!


I have now learned what I need to do every day to better prepare myself for a long season and a tough MIAA.
I know that the faster and stronger players are the most successful in this league. Preseason is where these two important aspects are developed. Official team practice is right around the corner and I have never been more excited for it. Our whole team has been talking about how excited we are for practice to start!!! We hope you are excited as we are and we can’t wait to see you guys filling up the Leggett and Platt Athletic Center real soon!!


Until next time...It's a GREAT day to be a LION!!

Erin Rice
Sophomore Guard