Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Where are they now? -- Jaime Green


Today's post is written by Jaime Green:

Hello Lions fans! This is Jaime Green (i.e. “J” around MSSU) and it seems like an eternity ago since I ran out onto the floor to represent the Lady Lions. However, the memories, lessons and character development that took place still ring fresh in my heart and mind today.

Like many of my Lady Lion teammates, I too, chose the amazing profession of coaching. I have been blessed with many wonderful stops throughout my coaching career (Monett-MO, Miller-MO, Parsons, KS, and Wichita, KS), and each would not have been possible if I hadn’t had the stamp of MSSU on my resume.

I believe that every young lady that begins their playing career at MSSU exits the program as a stronger woman. Through the life lessons, character development, leadership series, etc. there is no way one does not leave better than when they entered.

My career at MSSU began with a phone call to Coach Mitts. Seriously, I called her up on the first day of her job and reiterated the fact that she needed to sign me to play for her. You know what? She took an amazing gamble on a 5’6, 125 pound guard from Arkansas. In my mind I believed they were getting the best end of the deal by signing me, but after time I learned it was I who reaped the most rewards!

I wish I could tell you that I was an amazing player who started and played every minute of every game, but quite the opposite is actually true. I was a role player that valued every second of every practice and every game to be apart of something greater than myself…..a team, a family. In fact, I was injured for the majority of my career. In today’s collegiate world, if you are injured you are not looked upon to lead or to have input, but at MSSU, I was held to the same standards of those that were on the playing floor. It always meant the world to me that no matter if you were injured, a freshman, a transfer player, everything was the same. Everyone was expected to lead and give maximum effort despite their role. You learned to embrace your role and fight for it daily.

So, where am I today? I am thrilled, as of a month ago, to step into the role of Head Women’s Basketball Coach at Newman University in Wichita, KS. I have people ask me all the time, “How have you experienced so much success in the coaching ranks at such a young age?” That question is always easy to answer…age is just a number. It is because of the knowledge and lessons that were ingrained into my heart playing for Mitts and Hubbard that I do not view myself as a young professional, but as just that, a professional!

I am very blessed to have had the opportunity to play for MSSU. I think the main lesson that I learned and carry close to my heart every day is, “Talent is Never Enough!” It is the motto by which I live my life, the bar I set for my staff, and the reminder I hope to instill with each young woman that exits my program. As a college basketball player you need both talent and a work ethic to be successful. As a college basketball coach, I have found that what separates the good from the great is not a God-given talent, but a disciplined work-ethic. As I told you before, I was not the most talented player, but I did work my tail off. I also mentioned to you earlier that at MSSU it did not matter if your talent level was not as high as someone else’s, but it sure did matter if someone with more talent than you, outworked you. Self-reflection about one’s game or practice production for the day became the standard by which I began to hold myself accountable. It was from the green and gold practice floor that I began my journey into coaching. It is those same standards in which I lead myself, my staff and my team today!

I am eternally grateful to God that Coach Mitts answered her phone her first day on the job at MSSU many years ago! :) If she hadn’t, I am not sure where my life and career would be today. It is funny how things work themselves out. Like I said I believed they were the one’s getting the best end of the deal when they signed me, but…….as you can see, it is definitely me who owes Coach Mitts and Coach Hubbard, the faculty and fans the biggest thanks of all! Thank you and Go Lions!!!!


Until next time...It's a GREAT day to be a LION!!


Always a LION at heart,
Jaime Green
Class of 2003